Saturday, October 2, 2010

What have I done?

No, really. What have I done? I just finished signing up as part of the NaNoWriMo, which is short for National Novel Writing Month, that takes place every year from November first, to the thirtieth. The goal of this is to write a single novel, consisting of at least 50,000 words in those thirty days. Now, you are probably thinking the same thing I was when I was first introduced to it. "Right. Write a whole novel in a month? You've got to me kidding me." Well, unfortunately for me, I'm not kidding you. I don't know what possessed me to do it, but I think a big part of it is being able to prove to myself that I can. It's not about 'winning'. In fact, there's not even a real prize to be had at the end of this hellish month. Other than the ability to brag that you are able to write an entire novel in a month.

Growing up, my parents worked a lot, and more often than not, their work schedules overlapped, which then required my brother and I to be looked after. That nightmarish wonderful opportunity fell to several, but mostly to Jenni. You know who you are *wink*. Poor Jenni. After babysitting my brother and I for, oh I don't know how many years, I'm surprised she has the ability to function, let alone raise two kids, a husband, and some how find the time to do this NaNoWriMo AND sleep! So another big part of my wanting to do this is to be like her. She'll probably never know it, but I really admired her. When of course, I wasn't hating her for not letting me attack my little brother, or cook pancakes in the oven like Matilda.

So here is my pledge: I pledge to stick this thing out, write the damnable 50k words, post about my wonderful abilities of procrastination here, and anything else pops into my oh-so-popable mind.

Speaking of 'popping'....Here is my synopsis of what will eventually become my NaNovel:


"Elkan is a Ranger. One of the elite spies and guardsmen of not just the royal family, but of the entire country. He has been in service to the current King Rolmond for close to a decade and is one of the King’s most trusted confidants. But Elkan holds a secret that puts his life on the line. And, if revealed, could cause something that Elkan never wishes to see happen: a civil war.

Katrianna is the daughter to the King. First born, and rightful heir to the throne. Kat, as she is affectionately known as by the servants, is not what you would call a proper Princess. She harbors dreams of becoming a knight. Every day she watches with envy as the Rangers go out to physically protect the country that she loves and will someday rule.

Whispered rumors of the dangers of lurking shadows are growing. There is discontent in the country, and blame is being pointed at the King. These two worlds must find a way to connect in order to protect not only themselves but of the kingdom they have been sworn to protect. But how can one catch a cloud and pin it down?"


How amazing is that?! ...Yeah, I didn't think so either. ;D

.::BriarPho::.        *cough cough* BTW. That <-- is my username at nanowrimo.org. In case you're interested.

1 comments:

Jenni Merritt said...

Aw...I loved watching you guys. You both taught me alot of...patience. I never knew you admired me...but I always loved you, my little Matilda brat. :)
I am WAY excited you will be trying, no, DOING this feat with me this year. We gotta keep each other going, ok?