Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Odd Days

For the first time in a while, I have been completely unmotivated to do anything. Perhaps it was knowing that there is so much stuff to get done, and not wanting to do any of it.

I guess I will start off with the basics. So Chris, Felicity and I live in a two story, two bedroom house that's small, but nice. We only have carpet upstairs, and that fake wood flooring downstairs. I love the way wood floors look, but oh my goodness do I hate them! Not only are they impossible to keep clean without sweeping every twenty minutes, but they're always so darn cold! Anyway, that's not what this ranting post is about. Along with us, we share this roost with a dog, and four cats. Yeah that's a lot, but (and don't tell Simon this) I'm a cat person, and couldn't live happily without my kitties...So since bringing them all here, we've religiously medicated them for fleas/ticks/yadda yadda. Kitties are on the topical, while Simon is on Comfortis, the pill thing. What my vet didn't tell me about Comfortis, is that it doesn't stop the fleas from jumping on him, or laying eggs. They only die when they bite him. Oh boy. We live next door to a very nice dog, and he and Simon play all the time, but they don't treat fleas on their dog. Awesome. So Simon plays, gets fleas, comes home, and they jump off. I have picked several out of my bed, one from Lissy's bed, and one from her hair. That last one was my final straw.

I couldn't give Simon a flea bath because he just got fixed like, a week ago, and I'm pretty sure that's not long enough. But I dipped the cats (And I have some nice scratches to prove it...My feral cat is well...feral.) and shoved them outside today. I bombed the house. Flea bombed, that is. I took all the bedding off of the beds, opened up all the dressers, covered and shut off my computer...I mean I went all out. My dad came and picked Lissy and I up and took us to my Mom's, where since she has a laundry/diaper business, she has a HUGE washing machine. So we stuffed in all of our bedding, blasted it with strong cleaners, and waited until we could go home. Chris came home for lunch and opened up all the windows, and even turned the fan on to get a good breeze going downstairs. Thankfully, the way our house is set up, our bedroom windows and Lissy's windows are facing straight at each other, and that makes a delightful cross breeze. After another two hours, Dad took Lissy and I up to my mother-in-laws place where she watched Lissy while I went home and cleaned the house from top to bottom.

Now, I am a perfectionist, but I really don't enjoying cleaning. Organizing, yes, but not cleaning. But I did it. I vacuumed everything. Windexed everything. 409'ed everything. Now, to put this in perspective, we have one of those vacuums with the clear canister, so you can see how full it is. I usually vacuum the upstairs two, to three times a week, and I sweep downstairs everyday. Sometimes twice a day. After I came home, I cleaned out the canister and began upstairs. I had gotten a bag of this "Flea Busters" from my next door neighbor across the fence who runs a Dog Grooming/Spa business. For this stuff, you vacuum, sprinkle it around, sweep it down into the carpet, then vacuum up the excess. So that's where I started. I vacuumed. I had just done this, maybe two days ago. After going through my bedroom, the hallway and Lissy's room, the canister was half full. Let me repeat that. Half full. It was disgusting. So I emptied it out and carried out the last two steps, putting it on the floors, and on the beds. After that, I made the beds and moved downstairs, all the while blasting upbeat music.

Side note: I have to have music. I live on music. There is no way I can clean anything without it. Dunno why, but it takes my mind off of how long it's taking something to get done, and everything seems to go by much faster.

After I was done with the whole thing, I was exhausted. I grabbed a soda from the fridge and chugged. I didn't sit down though. I was afraid if I did, I wouldn't get up, and I still had to fetch my boyo from Mel next door, take a shower, and get ready for tonights pick up rehearsal. So I went to get Simon, chatted a bit with Mel and Dana, then came back home. I fed the critters, then went upstairs to figure out what I was going to wear tonight. I certainly didn't want to go wearing the sweatpants I had been wearing while cleaning. I chucked those into the laundry basket, chose jeans and a black and gray striped t-shirt, went into the bathroom and flipped the heat on all the way up to "90". Having the windows open most of the day made the house VERY cold. I don't like being cold. I don't like it one bit. Can't stand it. I've already got bad circulation in my feet and hands, so when I get cold, my poor fingers and toes go all numb and freezy. So I stood in the shower for longer than I probably should have, but boy did that hot water feel good!

I got out, dried off, put on just basic make-up, and got dressed. Then was scared to death by Simon's bark a foot behind me. Chris was home with Lissy. It was about six o'clock, and I was supposed to be at rehearsal at six thirty, so I grabbed my socks and boots, put those on while Chris made dinner, ate, and somehow still managed to be ten minutes late. Thank goodness Ellen, dear sweet Ellen, didn't notice. Or, at least, she didn't berate me! I did a quick sound check, then was stunned when I noticed somebody had tampered with my cues! I had four new cues. I berated Steve into coming down off the cat walk to explain, and he of course gave me grief about it. He's a great guy :D

He told me that this was what Merritt wanted to walk down to. I guess it's a promo thing for a concert that the theater is putting on after the running of "Midnight" is over. So meh. No biggie.

The pick up started, things went well. Only a few lines were missed, but they were done very well and nobody missed a beat. Very amazing. And I even put the tabs down! Ya hear that Jack?! I didn't screw up!

0 comments: