Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ha! Almost forgot to post!

Well it's nearing on midnight, and I'm dead tired. I've had a rather busy evening, though it was a lot of fun. I'll save most of the details for tomorrow before I head off for the 2:00pm showing of "Midnight", but I promise it will be worth it!

The main reason I'm doing this, is not so I have this huge group of people that read my stuff, but to get myself in the habit of writing at least something everyday. I'm reading this book by Chris Baty, the guy who started NaNoWriMo, and by his calculations, you should write 1,667 words a day. For a good typist, that should take about an hour and a half. That's if you write non-stop though. I'm not too shabby at typing, (I even spell most things right the first time!) but I think I'd be hard pressed to write constantly for even an hour. I have about 2.5 hours when Lissy is asleep, and I'm plotting to make that my 'writing time'. Now, I'm no where near writing 1,667 words here, but it's more forcing me to make a habit of just typing my thoughts out, no matter how scatter brained those thoughts may be! Which is basically the point of NaNoWriMo. To write a wonderfully horrible first draft. There are some great quotes, even in just the introduction, and even you aren't planning on attempted a novel in thirty days, I do recommend you read it. Here are my favorites thus far:

"Your intuition knows what it wants to write, so get out of the way!"

"The single best thing you can do to improve your writing is to write. Copiously."

And an amazing quote from Ernest Hemingway: "The first draft of anything is shit."

0 comments: