Saturday, October 2, 2010

What a bad idea.

Chris and I got one of those tow-behind trailers for bikes. You know, the ones where you can stick your kid in? Yep. Got it from a nice guy who was selling it here on the island for $100. Brand new, never been opened. I couldn't wait to get it hooked up and take Felicity for a ride! But that was before I remembered: Hey, my bikes tires are flat!

So we went over to my moms and pumped up the tires, and thankfully, they held air! We brought the bike back home yesterday and got it all hitched up. This morning, Chris and I wanted to clean, but as much as Felicity's efforts were adorable to watch, they actually made more of a mess than anything. I could see that Chris was getting frustrated, and Felicity had no idea why.

Scooping her up, I put on her shoes and her brand new winter coat that Nanna got for her at Costco, we went out the door to go get the missing ingredients that I needed in order to make this cake for tonights party to farewell our wonderful guest director, Jack Phillips.

I plopped her into the trailer, buckled her in, covered her up with her blankie, handed her Bunny, closed the front part (which she did NOT like one little bit) and started off. To make sure that the brakes on my bike worked after so many years of disuse, we did a quick back and forth on the driveway. Everything worked fine, I got the hang of how the trailer felt being pulled along behind, and off we went. I already knew I was going to have to push the bike up the hill towards town, so it didn't bug me as I huffed up the slope. I had been walking nearly every day with Lissy in the stroller up that hill, so I figured I was in pretty good shape. Boy oh boy...

Anyway, we finally crested the hill after what seemed like an age, I mounted the bike, and we zoomed off, the little orange flag streaming and flapping along. And let me tell you, when we started going fast down some of the short little dives, she LOVED it. I could hear little squeals of glee from behind me. So cute!

We were headed to Kings and made it there in no time flat. We met up with Nanna there, and Lissy just flew at her. She sure does love her Nanna! I had called mom before we left to tell her we were going to stop by and to ask her the difference between Cake Flour and Bread Flour. Who knew there were so many different kinds of flour?? Annoying, actually. So mom showed us where everything on my list was, and soon we were headed back out the door. I put Lissy back into the trailer, gave her her treat (she gets a treat every time she doesn't throw a tantrum in the store) and buckled her in. Once she was settled, I arranged our groceries around her. Thankfully, it was only a few items. After everything was  in place, we headed out.

Going to the store was easy. Coming back...well now that was hell. Since we had come mostly downhill the whole way, now we had to go back UP hill. Boy let me tell you. Even the tiny inclines felt like they were straight up to my poor legs and arms. I never knew it could be so much hell fun to pull 40 pounds behind you uphill! I was dying by the time we made it to a somewhat flat stretch. I complimented myself on my wonderful forethought as I drank heavily from the bottle of water I got at the store. I knew from my track days not to drink a lot of water while exercising, and I had to really restrain myself from guzzling down the whole thing.

After what seemed like an eternity, we finally made it back to our hill. I wearily got back onto the bike at the encouraging giggles from the trailer, and we zoomed down the hill. Dang it felt good to have some cool wind hit me! We blasted down the driveway and right to our front porch, where I basically just toppled off the bike. I crumpled to the stairs as Lissy called, "Mama! Mammmaaa!" to try and make me let her out.

I couldn't move. My legs felt like Jell-O that somebody was shaking for the fun of it, my arms felt like they had been thrown around like two limp noodles. I leaned forward, nearly losing my balance and landing on my face, and released Lissy from the trailer. She flew out of it, went up the steps, and into the house, leaving the door wide open. I was grateful for that. I put the groceries back into the bag and went into the house, shutting the door with my butt. I plopped the stuff on the counters that Chris had cleaned, and sank into the couch.

That was my wonderful bike experience. I think I'll do it again tomorrow...

.::Briar Pho::.

0 comments: