Friday, October 22, 2010

That'll teach me...dang.

Oh boy. Lissy's ears have closed.

We got her ears pierced when she was about 5 months old. Her older cousin Rylee has her ears pierced, and while it is absolutely adorable, I didn't want to invite teasing. (I.E. "I have my ears pierced.") I was too much of a chicken to get it done when she was three months old, mainly because I am terrified of needles. They send me into a severe panic attack, and watching the nurses give Lissy her shots? Oh boy, I was sure I was going to seriously maim some poor nurse.

I didn't get my ears done until I was twelve, and even then it took three tries. The first time, I didn't even make it to the building. The next time, I made it in, but not to the chair. The third time, I got in the chair, and I had my cousin with me and he held my hands while the ladies stabbed me. They were very good, one on each side so I couldn't chicken out after the first one was done. I don't think I cried after getting them done, but I know I did as I was sitting in the chair waiting for them to do it. I'm surprised I didn't shake myself out of the chair, or get an earring in my cheek.

I really didn't want that experience for Lissy. So while Chris was at work, I went to our appointment at Christy's Salon here in town. When you first walk in there, you see a small reception desk with a wall behind it. The wall comes into roughly half of the room, and if you go to the left of the wall past it, directly to your right, there is a HUGE mirror that goes pretty much the length of the room. Now, Lissy has always loves mirrors. Still does, in fact. So while we were waiting for the lady to get all prepped, we stared at ourselves in the mirror, and Mommy made funny faces to make her laugh.

Finally, it was time for the first earring. There was only one lady doing it, so I was a little nervous. That would mean two different shots of pain for my little girl. Once her ears were marked, the earrings I picked out were loaded into the gun, and BAM! Squeal! Lissy screeched, and I tried not to cry. Immedietly I took her over to a different screened off area to look into one of the other mirrors, and she stopped screaming and just stared at the new Mommy and the odd, red-faced baby that Mommy was holding. After a couple of minutes, the lady was ready again, so we shot the other earring into her ear, and Bam and screech! More crying and screaming, and the lady who had done it was very apologetic, but there really was no way to avoid the pain, which I reluctantly accepted. I moved Lissy to yet another mirror and the crying stopped. After another moment, we came out and everything was right in the world again. The lady gave us some gel to keep her ears clean and sanitary, and we left.

Now, about six months ago, my cousin, Rylee's mom, told me that it was alright to leave the earrings out. In fact, Rylee hadn't had earrings in for several months and they hadn't closed. So, since Lissy was at the stage where she was fiddling with them and pulling them out, I thought that sounded great. Well. Not true! I just tried to put earrings in her ears, and the back of her ears are shut. I really don't want to just force the earrings through, and I really don't want to have them re-pierced...Any idea's anyone?

0 comments: