Wednesday, October 20, 2010

This is what 1667 words look like

Alrighty, you guys get a bonus post today! As the title suggests, in this post, there are exactly 1,667 words. That is how many words I will have to write, minimum, in order to finish my goal of reaching 50k words in thirty days. It sounds a lot easier when you just have to write roughly two thousand words, sorta. Taking the advice of my loving friend Jenni, I went out and bought Chris Baty’s book, “No Plot? No Problem!” and there are some great tips. I was really surprised to read that great classic books like “Of Mice and Men” are roughly 50,000 words. It was a really short book when I read it in English class in High School, so just that in itself help to bolster my confidence in the project.

That little paragraph up there? 134 words. Oh boy. Maybe I shouldn’t have looked! All well. My project for this week, and actually, up until Halloween, is to get my house all spooked up! I don’t have a bunch of money to spend on it, but I really want to get into the spirit of the season. If asked, I’m not sure I could tell you why I love this time of year so much, but I really do. I’m so excited that Lissy is getting to the age where she’s excited for it, even if she doesn’t like getting all dolled up. I’ve got one string of orange lights, which I am going to attempt to pin up around our glass door, I made some “blood” and wrote “Happy Halloween” there too…even drew a bloody scythe :D Now all I need is some cobwebs! The fake kind, though. I hate spiders. [shiver]

But in order to get my place spooky, I’ve gotta get it cleaned up. Seemed odd, I know, but hey, it’s hard to be in the spirit of the season when you’re stepping on Cherrio’s from yesterday mornings breakfast. Oh, and I never thought I’d meet a dog who wasn’t a vacuum cleaner, but it looks like my poor little pup isn’t one. Which is sad. He will lick your plate, but isn’t a fan of Cherrio’s or other such kiddie food. Unfortunately for him, he does fancy chocolate…Tried to eat the chocolate frosting off of Lissy’s crackers. I shudder to think what would have happened if he had gotten it. Not good.

Wow that was a weird bird walk. 407 words. At least I’m getting into the swing of just jabbering. I think at the end of November, I’m going to need to be admitted into a CA rehab group. Coffee-holics Anonymous.  But I can totally see where being hyped up on caffeine would help you get your word count in! Right now I’ve got a partially empty Cola, an empty bag of cheddar cheese pretzel sandwhiches, and a bag of chocolate covered raspberry sticks which Lissy is smearing all over my awesome white sweatpants…what a adorable toddler! I guess I just don’t have enough other gooey stuff on me. But it is so cute to have her walk up with food. She’ll bring you something, usually uneaten (which is amazing, given most toddlers habits), put it in your hand and tell you all about it and watch you until you eat it. Then once you do, she will break out this huge grin and laugh, then run off to grab you more. It’s absolutely adorable and I love it. Even when she brings me not so yummy things. At least with that stuff you can generally convince her to feed it to Simon. I don’t think he appreciates having food shoved into his mouth very much though.

While on the subject of how positively adorable my little Diva is, Chris and I have noticed that she really is turning into a girly girl. Now, I’m not a big girly girl, but I do wear a little make-up and things other than sweatpants. When I’m in the bathroom getting ready to face the world, she’s usually in there with me, sitting in the sink putting on her own imaginary make-up and brushing her teeth. Sometimes, Chris or I will catch her staring at herself in our full length mirror in our bedroom. It’s really cute. She’ll make faces, and sometimes will ‘poof’ up her hair like Mommy does. It’s so cute to watch this little girl copy my habits, so far anyway. I’ve been really good with not swearing so hopefully she doesn’t pick up any of that…which she probably will, but hey, it’s how she learns. And if she happens to use it in front of Chris’s parents…They just might have a complete meltdown. Might grant me a moment of silence ;)

Veering sharply to the left to avoid that subject…my sugar has been stolen. By tiny little hands. And I’m pretty sure Lissy was the one to do it. How do I know? Let’s call it Mommy intuition. The chocolate all over her face helps though. And there it is: the innocent ‘I love you mommy’ smile. Cue the melting. It really is hard to stay mad at this little child, about anything. We have purple permanent marker all over my Pistachio Green wall from our little artist, and even then it’s hard to look at the pouty apologetic face and be upset. She knows when she’s done something wrong, and tell you she’s sorry and that she loves you. I’ve even had her put herself in time-out. How incredible is that? She’s not even two yet. We of course, have our off days, but those are few and far between, usually occurring when nap-time has been moved or altered horribly. She’s even really interested in what I’m doing right now. She loves watching movies with me on the computer, and will most of the time sit still and quiet. We have this little game on the internet that is great fun. It’s just a little orange square and whenever you hit a letter key on the keyboard, it makes a sound. Some of them sound like rain, one like clapping, it’s a lot of fun. It’s called the cray machine, or something like that. Look into it if your interested :D

Woo! We have now broken 1,000 words! Wow, this is actually a lot longer than I thought it would be, but timing myself, and while I have Lissy running around smearing chocolate everywhere, this has taken me about half an hour. Maybe while she’s sleeping, which is roughly two hours, I could take care of two or three days worth of writing…That would be awesome. Would probably really help when weeks two and three come around with all of that demoralizing stuff, ha.

You know what is really hard to do? Continue to type while somebody is rolling the mouse wheel…Anyway. Oh gross, a sneeze to the face. Ah, the wonders of motherhood. Or fatherhood, for that matter. It is now five after three…meaning I have at least another two hours before Chris comes home from work. Sad. And what’s even more sad, is we don’t have any movies for tonight! We rented I think five movies yesterday, and Chris took them back today when he went back to work after lunch. We got: Just Wright, 9, How to Train Your Dragon, Sunshine Cleaning, Tinkerbell, Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure, and Letters to Juliet. They were all great movies, Dragon we had seen before a few times in theaters, (Toothless is EXACTLY like my cat…) but I was rather disappointed with Sunshine Cleaning and 9. The others were amazing though. Letter’s to Juliet was incredible, a true love story. I would recommend it.

Do you have any movies you really enjoy? I’m always looking for good time killers :D 1301 words!

Wow, I really still have three hundred words left? I’m typing this in Word Processor, to keep track of the words, and to see how many pages it is, and so far I’m about a page and a half.  Incredible. Dang, now I’m at a loss for what to say. This would be easier if it were my book, then I could just make up random scenes and all that. But this is rather one sided.

Ok, random thought. Is there a serving size on Vicks Vapor Rub? I mean, not like for eating, but how much you should use at one time? It doesn’t say on the bottle, and the only reason why I have this thought is because Lissy is congested and coughing. I’ve been using Vicks Baby before she goes to bed, but it never really says how much to rub on their chest, neck and back. Just an interesting thought. I think that stuff smells great though. I’m pretty sure I could smell the jar all day long. That’s probably not very healthy, huh?

Ok, two hundred words left to go.

I miss my crew! From Midnight. It’s only been over for a couple of days and I already miss them all. I have such a great time working on productions in the theater, and the people are awesome people. It’s hard to go from being out of the house 4 evenings a week to not going anywhere at all. I really wish that Jack could have been there for our final night, it was a great show. Sheila got to see her stove explode and the headlights on stage…it was great. I’ll really miss getting to see people jump, and know that my sound is what made them jump. Kind of a power trip, but hey, it was pretty cool. To see Rachel just bloom on stage was a real treat. She wouldn’t have anybody know it, but this was her first play here on the island, and unless she told you, you probably wouldn’t have noticed it. She and John were great together, and Ken and her were very fluid in their dialogue.

My last five words!

DONE!

1 comments:

Bink said...

I wanted to say, "Hey, I love your site...so far". I'm trying NaNoWriMo this year. I was looking up 1,667 words. Ugh, I have no plot. I have no story idea and tomorrow is the last day of October. My anxiety is kicking in now. Cheer for me please. I'll need that.