Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunny Sundays

So every Sunday I blog about the things in my life that make me smile. Usually, this isn't a very hard task, but today it seems especially difficult. For various reasons that I'm not going to journal about here.

But I finally did remember some of the things that I truly love. For a start, sunflowers. They're probably my favorite flower, in a tough competition with roses. They're so bright and cheery, it's hard not to like them. Plus, they give you delicious seeds that are fantastic when baked and covered with salt.

Another thing, that I actually just finished, is baking. My house is filled with the mouth-watering aroma of vanilla cake, and while my layers cool down in the fridge, the buttercream frosting ingredients are awaiting me on the counter next to my mixer, waited to be creamed and mixed together to make the best frosting on the planet. This particular cake is for a class tonight. It's our final financial planning class, and we're having a potluck to celebrate, with me making one of my famous cakes. I dug through all of my tips and pans to find stuff I haven't used in a while, and I can honestly say, I think this one is going to be one of my favorite cakes. I went and bought a container of green sprinkles which is going to turn into money signs on the side of the cake. I'm so excited about this particular cake, I'm having problems waiting patiently for the cakes to cool!

Another thing that I am excited about is my hair. Oh yes. Now, I'm not a girly girl who focuses on her hair a lot, but every once in a while I like playing with it and trying something new. I can't cut it, because I'm in a bet with another friend: we're growing out our hair for a year, so neither of us can cut it until December 1st this year. But we said nothing about dying it. -wink wink- Friday, I bleached several strips of my hair, in typical highlighting fashion, and it looked awesome. I had my fire hair back! Very blonde at the roots and getting brassier further towards the ends. But yesterday, I parted my hair, found all those highlights, and dyed them blue! Well, it's not REALLY blue, more of a turquoise… blue/green kind of color. But it's awesome, and I love it. When I came out of the bathroom, I got several strange looks from Felicity, and she was fascinated by my new color, but I think she liked it.

And tomorrow night is another play rehearsal, and that always makes me smile. I've been trying very hard today to stay positive and remember one of the many motto's that I enjoy: "Happiness is Homemade". Keep baking, writing, reading… whatever it is that makes you smile!

0 comments: