Monday, June 13, 2011

Flute, Music and Dance

For those of you who don't know me, I've been a ballerina since I was about 4. I've always had a love of music, and in sixth grade I was apart of the band class. I started out on Clarinet, but part-way through my 7th grade year, I switched over to flute after teaching myself in a single week while my family and I went on an RV trip to Oregon.

Since then, the flute has been my favorite instrument, even when I went on to teach myself a dozen other instruments. Literally. This morning, after going through our shed last weekend, I picked up my flute which was in surprisingly good condition for having sat in the shed for a year. The last time I picked it up, it was to play at my grandmothers funeral. I found a bunch of music too, and a couple of my old books. I opened the case, and spent probably thirty minutes just polishing it back to it's former glory. There are a couple places I can't get to, like around the keys, but I've gotta take it in for a pad replacement and oiling anyway. After that, I sat down, and with Felicity trying very hard to steal the flute away and play with it, I began to play. I started with the basic scales, and after both the flute and myself were warmed up, I played Grand Ol' Flag and the Star Spangled Banner. Beautiful songs to reintroduce myself to the world of flute music. I'm still searching for where I set my sheet music from high school, but I'm sure I will find it, and when I do, I am going to play and play and play! I'm so excited to get myself back into it, and because of the emotion of the last time I played, I thought it would be difficult for me. But I've felt this awesome peace about starting again, like my grandmother is right there telling me it's ok to play again.

This weekend, I will be stage managing the Dance Happy concert of sorts, and I haven't participated in that since I was in it as a very young ballerina. I guess this week is one of new beginnings!

0 comments: