Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A New Snippet

I have decided that since I didn't get a whole lot written lately, I will post something up here for y'all to read. I figure maybe that will get me in mood to write to 25k today! Here ya go!

Elkan took a long drink from his beer, inhaled deeply and said, “I am being given the honor of becoming the personal bodyguard of princess Catrina.”
Geralt said nothing, he just stared at his pupil for a moment. Maintaining his silence, the older ranger caught the eye of the serving maid and held up two fingers just as Elkan had earlier. Then, seizing his own mug from the table he drained it in one go. Elkan just watched and took another sip of his drink, waiting for what was to come. The serving girl came with two more frothy mugs and set one before each of them. Looking up the older man extended his hand to her and Elkan caught the flash of gold. “We may need quite a few more. Let me know when that runs out,” Geralt said. Then glaring like a predator, he reached over and grabbed the mug in front of Elkan and slid it over to sit in front of himself next to the other one. He took a drink from the first one, and looked over at his abashed apprentice. “So, Cat’s babysitter now are you? Serves you right for letting those sea dogs beat you up so bad, though I can’t imagine she’ll go any easier on you.”
Elkan winced a little, “She’s not the one I’m afraid of here. Besides, it won’t be that bad, I think it’s just until she is married.”
“Ha!” Snorted Geralt into the remnants of his mug, “Then it’s life service.”
“She’s of age,” Elkan pointed out with a frown. “Or perhaps a little past it. At least that’s what her father seemed to think. He was threatening to pick a groom for her.”
“Oh that’d go just peachy,” retorted the older man. “And how are you supposed to train while being her bodyguard? I mean after you nurse the results of those ‘lucky blows’ in a month. Does this mean I am going to have to haunt the palace to tutor you until the princess is married off? That simply won’t do. Elkan just what have you gotten your poor old master into?”
“Geralt you’re talking like you think this was my idea. Quite the opposite I assure you. And Cat didn’t seem to like it either.”
Geralt sighed. “I know lad.  I’m just caught a little off balance. I didn’t expect you to be late, nor did I expect you to be injured. And I definitely didn’t expect you to be confined to a personal guard post, to the princess no less. You’re not even finished with your training.”
“I am a full Ranger, Geralt.” Elkan sipped his beer. As much as he loved Geralt, he did sometimes get annoyed by his constant training.
“That doesn’t mean you've completed it. Until you can best me, you will always be an apprentice.” Geralt winked and his mouth formed that sly smile he always put on when he teased Elkan.
Elkan just sighed dramatically into his mug. “Anyway, I’m sure it won’t be too bad. I’m just supposed to keep the boys in the castle away from her. Even injured, I think I can manage to scare off boys.”
“You may at that, but can you keep her from them?”

0 comments: