Friday, November 19, 2010

It's a Universe thing

I don't know what has been up today, but something is seriously out of alignment. Whether it's stars, planets, or the fact that the only sun we've had today is what makes it through the thick layer of gray clouds, but something is wrong.

It may also just be me, but I don't really believe that, since three of my other friends feel it too.

Felicity woke up this morning much crankier than usual, and not even home-made bread smothered in blueberry jam could fix it (like it usually does). Heck, I even tried AristoCats, and that didn't so much either. I don't think I slept very well because I woke up feeling like I had stared at the ceiling all night long. I had forgotten to wash the mousse out of my hair, so I woke up with a fizzy hair-do worthy enough to be called an afro. My fix? A hair tie. And with less than two hours to get ready for our opening night for Stars Lore tonight...I'm debating on showing up in sweatpants and one of Chris's shirts.

After the disastrous breakfast {Remember that toast I talked about? Yeah, that was stuck to one of our kittens...}and after the poor kitten was washed and dried, a feat that they very much objected to (I have the scratches to prove it) I figured it was time to change into less sticky clothes. I came back downstairs after having been gone a total of three minutes or less, to find Lissy squeezing the life out of Rin, our female kitten. I believe I deserve a gold medal for not screaming at her to drop the kitten. Instead, I smiled, or at least I'm sure it was CLOSE to a smile, and asked her to please put the kitten down. She dropped her. My heart fell to my toes when little Rin fell to the floor and didn't move. As I felt tears coming to my eyes over losing a kitten I had had for two days, I picked Lissy up out of the Kitten Corner and sat with her to finish Cinderella. I looked down at Rin again, and she was gone. Feeling my stomach to a flip, thinking the dog had dragged the body off, I got up faster than I intended, knocking Lissy over onto her side. I looked around, and saw her and Rorik (our male kitten), sleeping together on the rocking chair. I poked Rin, and her head shot up, her huge green eyes accusing me. "What did you do that for? I was sleeping!" Heaving a great sigh of relief, I went back to the couch with the intention of sitting next to Lissy.

She, apparently, didn't want me to sit next to her anymore, for she stuck her arms up and planted her hands on my butt and told me no. I turned around and looked at her aghast. She returned the look with a very serious frown of her own, and reinstated her No. So I let her have that section of the couch. I sat on the middle cushion and, attempting to slide in some email time on the sly, opened up my laptop. I was able to check my email, but was scared out of my mind when Simon, who was laying right behind me on the other side of the couch, starts barking wildly at the sliding glass door. I swiveled my head around to see what he was barking at, but I couldn't see anything! Not even a crow, which are his favorite things to bark at. I tol him to be quiet, but it was too late, Lissy saw my computer open. She climbed down off the couch, and tried to climb between my laptop and the arm of the couch. There was perhaps a foot of space. When she couldn't get up there, she flung herself down on the ground, nearly squishing poor Rin, and screamed bloody murder. It was all I could do to not laugh at her. Or bash my head against the wall.

She just looked so silly with her face down on a pillow, her body completely rigid and pink, with these two little black kittens prodding her legs and back with their paws, no doubt wondering what the hell was wrong with that human child! Thankfully, that was the point when Chris walked in the door. He took one look at me, one at her, and simply stated. "Nap time." He scooped her up, made a bottle, and whisked her off to bed while I flopped on the couch and pulled the blanket over my head and tried to drown out the sounds of bombs exploding in Atlantis and the high pitch wailing of a tired kid.

After she was down, I ate lunch with Chris, and we talked. After he left, I called my dad, who said he was going to swing by and give Chris and I some money so we could finally replace this laptop. Unfortunately, with all of the medical bills that have piled up because of his recent surgery, he wasn't going to be able to help us out until the 29th. That's fine. Disappointing, but fine. I had really been looking forward to getting this netbook so I could stop using this laptop...I just hate the mini heart attacks I get when it tells me that my NaNovel file is empty.

So instead of pining over what I can't have, I started procrastinating more. I went around Facebook looking at how many friends it recommended I add and whatnot, when I noticed a name from middle school. I thought, "I wonder where they are now...they had always bragged that they were going to go to this school and do that thing...etc etc" So that became my pastime. I went around and looked at where my ex-classmates were. Most of them had profiles set for private, so I couldn't see anything except their pictures, which was sad for my eavesdropping. The one thing I did notice, however, is how different they look. I mean, they look like adult versions of the kids I remember, but something I had totally not expected was how they looked. I have all these memories of these skinny young girls and guys taunting me and being bullies *The main reason why I haven't added them as friends, and never will* and then to see how, frankly, fat, they've gotten was a shocker. I understand that most people gain weight as they grow-up, but this isn't a few pounds here and there, even I will admit I'm not the same weight I was in middle school. It's almost kind of sad to see, that especially the "jocks" of my age group are no longer that way. For some reason, I had expected to see the same kids I knew back then, just a few years older. I hadn't expected to see how time had changed them. And I said as much on Facebook, and in response to that status observation, I got a very nasty comment from someone I thought knew me better. I won't post it here because I really don't want to slander them or anything like that, but I will say that it made me very angry and frankly hurt.

I'm not happy that they're not living the life they bragged about in school, I'm not happy that some of them still live with their parents. Honestly, I couldn't care less. I spent most of my school years avoiding these people, and they aren't worth my energy or time when I have so much other stuff to take care of. I just find it sad that people in general aren't taking care of themselves and buying into this "new american" thing. I didn't really believe all that jazz about how 1 in 3 Americans are obese...until I started looking around at my own classmates. It's a real problem, and I believe it now.

I'm very glad that I have a high metabolism, and I'm very glad that I own a house at 20. I am also very very thankful that Chris has a job and that we have food to eat. The thing that bothers me the most, I think, is how very little people who claim to be friends, actually know about me. And how they assume things without even asking me about it. That's what hurts. To realize that friends believe that I'm judging people based on their weight, social status, or whatever. I never thought that I would hear that said about me. There is really nothing I will say, because there is nothing I CAN say to nay say a persons beliefs. They will believe what they want to believe, and I can't change that. All I can do is realize that I guess I don't have as many friends as I thought I did, and that make me sad. Even more so because they are a neighbor. But, hey, I don't need frienemies.

And this turned out to be much longer than I had intended. It was going to be a short recap of today's hectic events, and an invitation to join me at tonights Opening Night of "Stars Lore", the fall Kiddie play, at 7pm at the Community Theater. I am running the sound board for it, and I adore these kids! They are a very talented bunch, and I have been very impressed with how hard they have worked on this play. It really is entertaining. They cover four mythologies about stars. Cupid and Psyche; Gilgamesh; Hare in the Moon; and Marushka. If you have the opportunity, come see it! We also have shows tomorrow afternoon at 3, and then our last show is Sunday at 3. Hope to see you there!

0 comments: