Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Today the United States honors the men and women who have given their lives in the fight to preserve our freedom and those in need. We honor the brave soldiers who have pledged to give their lives protecting their families, and ours.

I don't do politics, so I won't go into anything here, but I will say that I do not support war, but I support our troops.

I am very blessed to have several military men in my family, both living and deceased. My grandfather on my mothers side served, and my step grandfather on my mothers side (my real grandfather died when she was twelve, my step-grandfather died when I was three) served, my father's father served, my father served in the Vietnam war in the Navy, my father-in-law was in the Army in that same war, as well as my Uncle on my mothers side. I also have several second cousins (my mother's cousins) who served. Most of these men have pictures that are displayed in our local American Legion, and I couldn't be prouder of them. My brother has plans of joining the Marines, as a sniper, (his dream, sooo not mine!) when he turns 18 in two years, and when he does, I know I will be just as proud as him, even though it terrifies me to death to think that he may be joining the fight overseas.

I am privileged to know several other people in our small town community who have chosen to join up with Uncle Sam, and a lot of them have been shipped over seas. I am fearful for them, but I know that they will give anything, even their lives, to protect us here at home, sitting comfortably at our computers or television sets. Although I have done little to remark upon, and definitely nothing as noble as they have, I tip my hat to all current military people, and veterans. Thank you!!

0 comments: