Friday, April 8, 2011

Lion, Tigers, and Bears! Oh My!

It has been a while since I've posted, and I do apologize for that. But I have reasonable excuses! First off, our internet died. Can't really post a blog if you can't access the page... Next, the computer wouldn't turn on. How messed up is that? And now, I am sick. Lovely, ain't it? My nose feels like it's about to explode from the sinus pressure, my ears feel like they're both infected, and I can barely swallow my own spit because my throat hurts so bad. I have written very little, unfortunately, but since today is Friday, (TGIF!), and I am suitably drugged up on medicine, I will get to 25 pages today. It's a scary prospect, but it WILL happen.

Photoshopped by me,
Crown image
courtesy of Google.
Now onto happy moments. I have one HUGE surprise for everyone, but I can't talk about it yet, because I'm not ready for everyone to know yet. A few of you already might know, and if you do, please don't go spreading it around. I will post a blog about it, and shooting off fireworks and all that when WE are ready. And for the love of God, I am NOT pregnant. So please, don't go spreading THAT rumor around again. Puh-lease! Thank you.

Now, this happy moment is about my script covers. This first one I really like, because the crown looks slightly like a evil queen instead of a goody-two-shoes princess. Which to me, is perfect, because my MC is most definitely not a happy-go-lucky, submissive girl waiting to be rescued. My next favorite thing about this is the font. I was very lucky to have these on hand, and I think they work really well. A fancy type for the princess aspect, but also a normal, even slightly sloppy handwriting. I know that there really isn't any need for my script to have a cover, unlike a book, it's just nice to have that extra feel of professionalism.

Google image again,
Photoshop by me.
This next one I love because of the shoe. It's probably the most recognized symbol of Cinderella, and I love that. I am a big fan of tradition, and the glass slipper is one of those. Unfortunately, thus far, it plays no role in my Cinderella story. I do not have a somewhat neurotic fairy godmother sparkling onto the stage. This is also a slightly different title. I'm not sure which way I like better, with or without the "just". I think it adds another, kind of indifferent, element to it that I like. Because there really are LOTS of "Cinderella-esque" stories out there. I mean, jeez, Hilary Duff did one. While I know nobody has done anything like MY story, I still want that originality to really shine, even though the title.

By Jenni, Image is DeviantArt
This is one that Jenni did for me. Isn't that awesome?! I love the light background with the blue, and I gotta say I love how the words mesh. The font is pretty kick-arse too. I think it really shows off the shoe a lot better than my dark one does.

I do have a couple more, but I will save those for tomorrows post, (probably along with a victorious round of wild dancing as I hit 25 pages), mainly because I haven't finished them yet. I am currently searching and searching for the right images to meld together, and as far as I'm concerned, it's my best idea for the cover that I've had!

I am truly looking forward to sitting down and seeing what happens to my characters tonight, especially after I take another round of drugs to clear my nose and help my coughing. I'm pretty sure some ninja's are going to crash the ball, while vampyric zombies emerge from the graveyard and go on a killing-spree of all the kingdoms pigs. It shall be an interesting evening.

Oh, if you aren't doing this, then you have not received the weekly pep-talk. This week it's from Chris Baty (the guy who started both Script Frenzy and NaNoWriMo). I thought it was hilarious! So I want to share it with you all. Enjoy!

Dear Scriptwriter,
How's it going! Sandra invited me to contribute a guest pep talk this week, and her timing is perfect because I just got a letter that I need to talk to you about. The letter contains a petition about Week Two of Script Frenzy. And it was written and signed by all the characters in your script.
Weird, right?
Anyway, your characters asked me to pass along their concerns because they were too scared to do it themselves. The actual petition is scrawled on what looks to be a bar napkin, and I agreed to transcribe their list of demands and email them to you. Here goes...
1) They would like to wear capes more often. (This one seems negotiable.)
2) They sense that you are starting to struggle with them a little bit, and they swear that by page 30, they will be more interesting (and funnier!). They've really just been finding their footing this first week, and now that they're loosened up, they promise to blow your mind. Razzle-dazzle! Jazz hands! It's all coming your way this week.
3) {Illegible} (Dinosaurs? Binoculars? I can't really read this one.)
4) They would like to hang out with you this weekend. No pressure! And just for 10 pages or so. They say they have a surprise waiting for you.
5) Your main character would like to let you know that the on-set catering company you've hired to feed them puts out deli trays that frequetly skimp on the ham.
6) Your minor characters suggest that if you want to kill someone off this week, it would be MUCH more unexpected and powerful to kill off your main character.
7) The whole cast wants to express the fact that they love you, and that you are pretty much their only hope for playing a part in a completed script, and that playing a part in a completed script is something they've dreamed about since they were kids. Back then, their parents discouraged them from hanging around writers, saying it would lead to nothing but heartbreak. But look at them now! They're in a script that will be completed THIS MONTH! It's such a dream come true, and they can't thank you enough. Again, no pressure.
8) In closing, your main character would like to repeat the point about the ham.
Good luck on Week Two! I'm right there with you! 
Chris
Fellow Script Frenzy writer and
Executive Director, the Office of Letters and Light

0 comments: