Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Construction Update Day!

So last week I told you all about how I kicked butt at Script Frenzy. Of course now, with that over with, and my NaNovel out for it's THIRD round of editing to some ex-professional critiquers, I have very little to do. I've been playing and tweaking the possible stories for the upcoming NaNoWriMo, and creating lots of different cover idea's to actually get me started.

I think, to give you readers something interesting to read, other than weekly updates of "I didn't do anything!", I'll post a new possible NaNovel cover and give you a snippet of the story behind it. If you like the story and/or cover, please comment below! I really want to hear your thoughts on it, good or bad.

The cover here to your left is Running Free, which was inspired by, oddly (maybe even sadly) enough a Dixie Chicks song. It's about a young girl who goes through some very traumatic events: her cousin going to prison for manslaughter, parents divorcing after she discovers her fathers affair and tells her mother; and is constantly bullied by schoolmates. With the stresses of life, she begins to, really, lose her marbles. Her parents toss her into one counselling session after another, and with no help being gained there, they ship her off to the country. Now, as bad as things are, who really wants to leave their home town and everything that's familiar?

Since I'm very bad at revealing too much of a story, I'll stop there. This MC is actually one I've been developing for several years now, and I love her and how she reacts to things. It's probably one of the easiest and hardest stories I would write, should I choose to make it this years NaNovel.

Also this week, before I forget about it, I sat down and wrote out query letters and sent them out to five different publishing agencies, all of them containing several agents. The thing I love about the publishers I chose, is that they share queries. So it really doesn't matter which agent I send my own query too, they share it with the other agents. Especially if it's not their style, they don't just throw it away, they hand it over to the next person. I'm hoping that this will up my chance of getting another agent. The first one I had for my first book... well, I'll just say things didn't work out, we didn't exactly see eye to eye, and I very strongly believe in the author having the last and final say about things concerning the actual story. So that is my week. Now, I must leave to get my home set up for my friends' arrival. Today is our Wii/Tea day! We get together every Wednesday to drink tea, eat cookies, and play Wii together. It's a great way for us to stay in contact in our busy lives, and I look forward to it every week.

Have a wonderful, sunny day and may your cheeks hurt from smiling so much! (From happiness, from happiness...)

0 comments: