Saturday, July 2, 2011

I apologize for not posting yesterday, but my cat, who's about a year old, had her first litter of kittens. She had two, a fluffy little boy and a beautiful sleek little girl.

Normally, this would be fantastic news and worthy of some celebration. But, it's not. Rin, Momma Cat, isn't producing milk, and we think because of that, she is rejecting the kittens. She shows very little interest in them, and we're all very concerned about it.

Other than being an idiot, she's acting normal, eating normal, and generally being her typical attention seeking annoying hyper self, so we don't think there is anything medically wrong with her, like having another kitten stuck in her belly. (I couldn't feel anything when palpitating her tummy) So my friend Gemma and I went to our local pet supply store and bought some kitten milk replacer and have been attempting to feed the kittens. It's… not going so well. They really hate the little plastic syringe we have, and the ready-made bottles we got expired in 2009!! We've gotten them to pee, no poo yet, and eat maybe a drop or two at a time, but that's about it. They're otherwise pretty vocal and active, which is good, and we got a heating pad which we keep on one half of their box on the low setting, to help keep them warm like their mother should be doing. Gemma had them last night, since I haven't had a straight nights sleep in a while, and because of my growing baby bump and chasing a toddler, I'm exhausted and don't have the energy to feed them every two hours. I most definitely have the will to do it, and I will be taking over in another day or so, but for now, I'm focusing on getting some real sleep.

If you have had any experience with kittens this young (They are roughly 39 hours old) I would be immensely grateful if you would share. We tried contacting the Animal Shelter for help, but they haven't responded, so today we are going out to Wolf Hollow, our wild animal rescue center, and see if they have a rubber nipple we could borrow, and some tips on how to get them to eat. Hopefully our little bundles of furry joy make it!

0 comments: