Monday, March 28, 2011

This adorable kitten has been this weeks mascot for me. Chris and I were signed up for this financial planning course with Dave Ramsey. Most of you probably know who that is, and while he is hilarious, and a genius, I cannot help but become this kitten. Especially after last week.

Now, This class is already doing wonders for Chris and I. Dave Ramsey is amazing, and speaks plainly and simply, instead of piling on all these rules and big fancy legal words, making us all go wide-eyed and drooly like deers in headlights. He's made us confront some really big stuff that neither Chris or I wanted to do. The first budget sheet we did was so easy and simple, we pumped that thing out in twenty minutes and felt great. This last weeks homework was this 4 page budget sheet that had EVERYTHING on it. I mean, EVERYTHING. Dealing with that budget sheet was especially gruelling for me, because it showed me exactly what I wasn't doing. There were spaces for saving for Felicity's college, denistry, a car, and lots of other things that I just hadn't thought about. So it was very difficult for me to see that Chris and I have almost NO money left after we buy our groceries and pay all the bills, and to see just what I wasn't doing for our pride and joy. The fact that it was so black and white, showing me just how bad of a parent I am {especially when I realized that I hadn't even THOUGHT of those things!} really got to me.

Now, Dave Ramsey has two types of people. The nerds, and the free spirits. The nerds {That's me} are good with numbers, enjoy doing budget sheets and other detailed things. We can work for hours just focusing on the little details of a project. The free-spirits, {Chris} just want to live life and be free to do so. They don't mind if the details aren't perfect, and don't want to buckle down and stare at spreadsheet after spreadsheet. While these two people are total opposites, they need each other. The Nerd helps the Free-Spirit to be more careful, while the Free-Spirit makes the Nerd get a life! Now, Chris and I have been to Mark Gungor's seminar, the Flag Page Test and we've discovered our "countries" and each others Flags {which are the top five things, to us, that make us feel loved and needed}, so we already knew we were very different people, so to have that reaffirmed really helped us to talk things out instead of just fighting over where the left over 5 dollars should go.

We are a very blessed family, to not have any debt {at all!!}, no credit cards, no car payments... The only debt we have, is our beautiful 2 bedroom house. I am so excited to see what more Dave has to say in the upcoming lessons, and while I'm sure I will act just like that kitten up there, I'm sure I'll be laughing through my tears again!

0 comments: