Wednesday, March 30, 2011

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, this one I think is worth about four. Four words, that is. That is the point where I get stuck when I just try and "free write". Doesn't matter what I'm writing about, if I don't plan everything out, I get stuck right after that first sentence.

What does that mean, anyway? "Once upon a time." I get the initial meaning, setting the story up to be told, but I never understood why that is the traditional beginning into fairy tales. I'm not sure why I find it so difficult to like it, but for some reason or another, I just don't.
I always liked reading fairy tales, especially those from other countries and religions. One of my favorites is probably one from India, called the Hare in the Moon, I believe. Essentially, it's about a rabbit who gives himself up to a goddess in the guise of a human, for her to eat, and because of his selflessness and willingness to give his life to help another, the goddess paints the rabbits image on the moon so everyone will know and remember to be like the hare. {Go look at the moon one right, and tip your head to the side. See the rabbit? It's pretty cool!}

Once upon a time... hey, I just got struck by something. What kind of word is "upon"? It's UP and ON thrust together, and while the new meaning makes sense for this context... if you seperate them, it doesn't make any sense. Once up on a time. Now, that just sounds dirty. I can't wait until I die and can meet the weirdos who concocted the English language, with all of the rules and exceptions to it. Remember this one: "I before E, except after C, when sounding like A as in neighbor and weigh." What kind of demented evil genius thought up these things? I swear it was someone who hated children. I remember trying for hours to remember how to spell those things properly. Such nonsense!

There was one point where I just gave up. And really, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right, and the more times you get it wrong, the more the right way is engraved into your memory. At least, that's my theory. Come to think of it, there are a lot of those stupid rules that have so many exceptions to them... you'd think they'd just leave out that rule. 'Cause how can it be a "rule" if there are so many ways to break it without getting in trouble to doing so?

Man, I feel a long rant coming on here, so I believe that it is time to sign off for the day. Plus, I've got an hour until a couple of friends show up to Tea! Oh, and as a side note, I have been married for three years today! Yay! :D

0 comments: